Monday 9 July 2012

Lin Dan takes to red carpet at Laureus World Sports Awards


Though Lin Dan was not one of the six finalists shortlisted for the prestigious 2012 Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award, the Chinese reigning Olympic and World Champion was invited to grace the event in London yesterday.
The 28-year-old was the only badminton player to take the red carpet along with big names in sports such as Lionel Messi, Usain Bolt and Novak Djokovic, who were amongst the final shortlist for the 2012 Sportsman of the Year award.
"Chinese athletes tend to see their participation in sports as a platform to bring glory to the country", said Lin. "I feel that this may not always be positive if our athletes are not able to manage this self-imposed expectation, then it can become an unnecessary burden to them, and they fail to bring out their usual level of performance during a competition."
"So for me, I've learnt not to focus on the outcome of the competition - be it the best or the worst case scenario I've learnt to manage either of it", Lin added, "but what is of most importance to me is to be highly discipline in my daily trainings so that I'll be able to peak and play the best badminton in July, August at the 2012 Olympic Games should I qualify." 
"This is the fundamental expectation I have on myself right now", concluded the four-time World Champion. 
Lin Dan also remarked that he was torn between choosing Lionel Messi and Novak Djokovic to lift the award but went with the tennis ace, who did eventually take home the crown in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment